About Crossroads of Revolution Tour
Smaller than Vermont, New Jersey can easily be crisscrossed in a matter of days, geography that made it the center of military action in the American Revolution. Decisive victories at Trenton and Princeton proved to be turning points in the war. We’ll stand on the riverbank from which Washington launched his Christmas night crossing of the Delaware. A brutal winter encampment at Morristown, though less well known than Valley Forge, provided an even greater test of morale for Washington and his army. It’s on our itinerary – as is the dueling field, high above the Hudson River, where Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton in July 1804.
From our base in the beautiful college town of Princeton we’ll tour the home and laboratory of another revolutionary, Thomas Edison; the birthplace and gravesite of President Grover Cleveland; the Victorian-era Summer White House of Cape May; and Ellis Island, the legendary gateway to America for millions of immigrants inspired by the nearby Statue of Liberty – the focus of a stunning new museum. Odds are you’ll be as surprised as we were by the historical and scenic riches to be found in America’s most surprising state.
We meet as a group this morning at the Marriott Old City (formerly the Sheraton Society Hill) in Old Town Philadelphia, PA. In neighboring Camden, NJ we’ll stop at the Walt Whitman House and nearby gravesite. Then it’s on to lovely Cape May, NJ America’s oldest seaside resort and a treasure-trove of Victorian architecture. After lunch at the Blue Pig Tavern, we’ll visit the Emlen Physick Estate and enjoy a Victorian Historic District Trolley Tour. Dinner this evening is at Harry’s Ocean Bar and Grill. Our lodgings for the night (the first of two) are at the Montreal Beach Resort (each newly renovated suite features spectacular ocean views).
- Admission fees to all historic sites, attractions and museums listed on the itinerary
- All taxes and gratuities for all group functions, including meals, guides, bellmen, and motor coach driver
- Complete baggage handling for one bag per person
- Seven (7) nights outstanding accommodations at the Montreal Beach Resort in Cape May, NJ (May 10 - 12); The Hyatt Regency Hotel in Princeton, NJ (May 12 - 17)
- Tour includes seven (7) breakfasts, seven (7) lunches, and five (5) dinners
Meet Your Host
Share this Tour